Call for Bids - IJCNLP-AACL 2023
The 2nd Conference of the Asia-Pacific Chapter of the Association for Computational Linguistics and the 12th International Joint Conference on Natural Language Processing.
The Asia-Pacific Chapter of the Association for Computational Linguistics (AACL) hereby invites proposals to host the conference in the Asia-Pacific region around the beginning of December 2022. At this time, we seek preliminary draft proposals from prospective bidders in the Asia-Pacific region. Promising bidders will be asked to provide additional information for the final selection.
The AACL/IJCNLP 2022 Coordinating Committee, made up of representatives of the AACL and representatives from the AFNLP, will select the General Chair and the Program Committee Co-Chairs for the conference. Draft proposals should identify a Local Arrangements Chair, who will work with the General Chair and the Coordinating Committee to develop a detailed plan and budget.
To facilitate conference organization, bidders may delegate many tasks of their choice to a Professional Conference Organizer. Handy bid guidelines, including expense and task list templates and additional useful links are provided at: Bid Guidelines. The template for local expenses is available here: ACL Conference Bids Template.
Draft proposals include information on the following (since the schedule is very tight, it is acceptable if some of the information is not fully provided):
- Estimates of the anticipated number of registrants
- Location (accessibility, including physical disability access; conference venue, e.g., convention center, hotel or university; accommodation; dining options; capability to host the registrants predicted)
- Safety of the region/local neighborhood (venue and proposed accommodations) for all ethnicities, sexual orientations and genders, or a plan to ensure safety
- Proposed dates. Religious and local national holidays should be avoided, as much as possible.
- Local arrangements team (chair/co-chair, committee, volunteer labor, registration handling; description of any experience the team has had in organizing previous conferences and the number of participants at those conferences)
- Local Computational Linguistics community (the size and impact of local R&D groups on NLP and related disciplines)
- Meeting venues (space for sessions, tutorials, workshops, posters, exhibits, demos, small meetings and registration)
- High-speed, all-ports-open, easy-to-use internet access
- Audiovisual equipment
- Catering, including breaks, receptions, poster sessions, banquet and entertainment (traditionally, dancing for participants at the banquet); access to food onsite for restricted diets (religious constraints/vegans/vegetarians/widespread allergies and intolerances such as gluten-free)
- Local sponsorships
- Local expenses estimates spreadsheet (using template provided, link above)
- Brief discussion on measures to make the conference successful and productive even if it takes place only virtually due to the global situation of COVID-19
Proposals will be evaluated according to the following criteria (unordered):
- Experience, flexibility, and open mindedness of local arrangements team
- Local Computational Linguistics community support
- Local government and industry support
- Accessibility and attractiveness of proposed site
- Suitability of proposed dates
- Adequacy of conference and exhibit facilities for the anticipated number of registrants
- Adequacy of residence accommodations and food services in a range of price categories and close to the conference facilities
- Adequacy of expense projections
- Geographical balance with regard to IJCNLP, AACL, ACL, EMNLP and COLING meetings in the Asia-Pacific region in the decade prior to 2023 (2013 Nagoya, Japan; 2014 Doha, Qatar; 2015 Beijing, China; 2016 Osaka, Japan; 2017 Taipei, ROC; 2018 Melbourne, Australia; 2019 Hong Kong, China; 2020 Suzhou (online), China; 2021 Bangkok, Thailand; 2022 Gyeongju, Korea and Taipei (online), Taiwan)
- November, 2022: Call for bids
- December 9, 2022: Notify intention to submit proposal
- January 13, 2023: Draft proposals due
- Through February 17, 2023: Feedback and communication with bidders
- February 28, 2023: Bid selected
The selected location for IJCNLP-AACL 2023 will be announced at the homepage of AFNLP, as well as other relevant venues. For any queries please contact Jong C. Park, Chair of the Conference Coordinating Committee. Please send notifications and draft proposals to:
Jong C. Park
Korea Advanced Institute of Science and Technology (KAIST)